Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Preparations

6.5 weeks and counting till I arrive in Tokyo.

46 days
1104 hours
66240 minutes
3974400 seconds

I sound excited don't I?

Much to my surprise, while I am looking forward to my trip (and vacation from work; man, do I ever miss those school vacations), I find myself lacking in my usual zeal. Perhaps it is because I've travelled internationally before. Albeit was just once (but an amazing trip it was!). Or maybe it is more about the fact that this will my first Christmas away from my family. Either way, the uncontainable excitement of experiencing something completely new is achingly absent.

The best way I can describe it is how Christmas changes when you transition from child to adult. When I was young, I was consumed such enthusiasm that it could have been easily confused with mild hysteria. You remember it-the sensation that came over you on Christmas Eve (or months before) that felt as if you were going to burst at the seams. The thought of sleeping was inconceivable and down right torturous, especially on those Christmases when you had been extra good and hadn't even riffled through your parent's closets in search for your presents (not that I ever did that...)

Now that I'm older, the season obviously becomes more sentimental than material. It's a time for friends and family and celebrating the life and love that we all share. While I obviously treasure what the day means to me, sometimes I really wish I could have that excitement back (how about if I promise to not grossly misplace it this time?) :)

Being a holiday that holds such a special place in my heart, it's no wonder that the decision to be away over Christmas was a difficult one to make. I had originally planned to stay a week and a half- leaving just after Christmas and returning a few days after the New Year. However, the more I thought about it, I realized that spending $1300 for a plane ticket for such a short time was a complete waste. I wouldn't even be over the jet lag from arriving by the time I had to pack to go home. With much prodding from my boyfriend and even my family, I decided I'd take the full three weeks. I know that I can celebrate Christmas before I leave or after I come back, but it's not the same.

Still, to pass up such an amazing opportunity would be quite idiotic of me. One Christmas sacrificed, a big sacrifice it might be, would be worth it.

So for the past couple months I've been scouring travel books and attempting to get my Japanese above the level of a six-year old. It seems a bit pointless to research much, as I've been dating my own personal travel guide for the past three years. It is nice to get a lowdown on what there is to do, since I think there will be days I will be without him

My cousin is in Sakawa, Japan teaching English this year. This will also be her first Christmas away from home, so we've decided to meet up and spend a week or so together. We'll be in Kyoto for 3 days than then in Tokyo for the rest of our time together. It should be fantabulous. I love her much!

Those are pretty much all the thoughts at the moment. They are nothing new, but I figured it'd be a good way to break ground. I'm sure there will be more posts to come the closer I get my departure date. (Oh, 14 hour flight, how I loathe thee...)

No comments: